19 March 2007

Preview...

A paragraph from my senior thesis (it's the fourth paragraph). I'm three pages in, and it's either going to be good or a catastrophe.

I found myself in a wonderland of carbohydrates, things I had been warned against time and time again in a series of after school specials and post-graduate study physics courses. As I walked past a table of innocent looking assorted bagels, I could imagine their dangerous Cartoon counterparts dancing in a kick-line on top of them, harmonizing in four parts about terrorism and obesity and the guarded fight against both. As they dropped into the splits at the end of their number, the cartoon bagels gave me a meaningful look and asked me if I was fighting for freedom or if I was going to join the league of fat terrorists who planned to enslave us all. I grabbed a half dozen bagels and dropped them in my basket before grabbing another dozen. The cartoon bagels called me cowardly and unpatriotic before lighting their little cigarettes and walking away towards the liquor aisle. I ignored them and began to study the sliced bread.

-----
So far the entire story takes place in a grocery store. I have ideas that work into that. We will see what happens.

I also finished the Barthelme reading (I ended up reading 18 stories because I got the page numbers wrong). I feel more warmly towards him than I did before I read the right stories. There's probably some Barthelme influence at work in my senior thesis.

I think I have a story due this week for fiction. This might be the week that I really break in my new version of word.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I like this. It is very precise and descriptive. It is to the point, and allows me to create the scene in my mind with no distractions. I like this. It is good stuff.

C.D. said...

It is wonderful. I just have one question; are psychedelic drugs involved?

Kate Jenkins said...

Sadly, there are no drugs involved in either the creation of the story (which is still unfinished) or in the story itself.