12 May 2007

A cocktail party, in which my head is the guest of honor

head, meet table. (loud crashing sounds)
head, meet brick wall. (more loud crashing sounds)
head, meet metal barrel. (loud, metallic crashing sounds)
head, meet windshield. (loud, glass-shattering crashing sounds)
head, meet firedoor. (loud, dense crashing sounds)
head, meet metal post. (loud, pseudo-echoing sounds)
head, meet steering. wheel (loud, horn sounds)
head, meet register. (loud, metal sliding sounds)


head, meet creative work. (silence)
head, meet rhetorical analysis project. (head tentatively shakes hands)
head, meet portfolio revisions. (head edges away towards the door)
head, meet senior thesis. (head runs away screaming)

4 comments:

bretlonder said...

Windshields are safety glass, which is two panes of glass with an adhesive layer sandwiched in between so that they don't shatter in case of an accident. Head meeting windshield would thus sound something like a crumpling tarp. It's a really unique sound, you should go break somebody's windshield so you can hear it. The side windows are just tempered glass, so they shatter into millions of tiny little chunks. They have a higher pitched glass-breaking sound, but still not a stereotypical picture window breaking sound, which has a lower pitch to it. I've broken lots of stuff in my life.

Kate Jenkins said...

I'm really impressed in a way that makes me want to know more, but at the same time I wonder if knowing more somehow incriminates me. I also somehow think all of this incredibly valuable informations to go into a story written by Bret Londer.

Unknown said...

I like this. This like I.

bretlonder said...

The longer I think about it, a crumpling tarp is not an accurate sound metaphor. There really isn't a good metaphor, and for some reason words are failing me on this one. It may be that I haven't heard the noise for quite awhile, so I don't have a vivid memory still in the RAM, but it is a very unique, unforgettable sound. This requires more thought before I stab at another metaphor.