09 May 2007

Thank Yous

1. Thank you to Megan for calling my attention to the word Crème Brulée.
(Crème Brulée, with it's
accent lines, is beautiful, like
the symmetry of a Warhol, folding
into itself like the set of my first
linen napkins.)

2. Thank you to Chelsea for coming to Senior Thesis presentations tonight. I almost claimed you as my guest (even though, technically, you weren't), but decided not to embarrass you. It was nice to see a supportive soul in the audience whose attendance wasn't mandatory.

3. Thank you to those of you who have been giving me workshop quality comments on my random mind-explosions (ie poem-things). While I am very appreciative of these most helpful gestures, I want to make sure that you realize you are in fact encouraging this bad behavior and may, therefore, be inadvertently responsible for me posting more poems. Just so you're aware.

3 comments:

C.D. said...

Your welcome. Charles told me he thought about claiming me as his guest as well. I actually would have enjoyed the embarrassment. For the record, you did positively fine in your presentation. I'm afraid the majority of the professors just do not understand creative writing. I almost spoke up once after your presentation in response to a question that forced you to put things on the overhead, the question/comment being something like, "Could you point out what you're talking about?" I almost said, "Because that question was asked, you accomplished your goal Katie." The fact that he couldn't distinguish the exact moment that time shifted (which I don't think is that hard of a concept, needing so much explanation, especially for an English professor for God's sake. Stories play with time. Easy to understand? I think so anyway. That irritated me)is exactly what you were trying to accomplish. But my saying that might have gotten me off on the wrong foot with a professor I haven't had yet.

The next two years without you guys/m.d. worry me. How will I make it, seriously. Though, if you're in the area in two years, you're more than welcome to come as my guest. :) Are you coming to the reading tomorrow?

C.D. said...

You're**

And also, I am fine with more poems by Katie. Poems by Katie are liked by people named Chelsea.

Kate Jenkins said...

You're not losing all of us. Charles and I will be around next fall. Teresa is only a sophomore (?), Lisa will be around all next year. And there will be new creative writers to meet, I think there might have been one or two with promise in the intro class this year, and then there will be more besides that.

The other thing you could do (depending on how the creative writing hire goes for the fall) is be rebellious like me and take workshops at UNL (as soon as I figure out how exactly to accomplish that).

Depending on how getting my thesis done goes, I'm going to try and make it to the reading though I may have to duck out early for my exit interview at 3PM.

Maybe after finals are done I'll start posting a poem a week or something to that effect.